Thursday, February 18, 2010

concentration


my concentration's about faces and what they can do. the face is one of the most heavily relied upon things in identity, and this is kind of an experiment on how the face affects the direction and feel of a piece.

this paintings got some really strong bold elements to it in the stroke consistency of the white and the flat yellow, and then there's this kind of weak, scrawny chicken face. its definetly flat though, but i dont wanna throw down a shadow cuz thatd make it like a portrait of the chicken, as if it showed up to get its picture taken and is posing. instead i think i'm gonna have some oblong and awkward shapes coming out of the tubes in the back of its head. i'm not sure whether i want these shapes to flow like theyre expelled with force, or drift around and have a couple floating over and overlapping the face. these if theyre floating i'm gonna restrict them to near the top right quarter of the painting, if theyre being forced out the shapes will bank sharply downwards and seperate.


because my concentration is so invested in identity, i think its important that i use different styles in every piece. so the next thing i work on is gonna be a charcoal drawing with 3 or 4 shades and there will be lot of movement

3 comments:

  1. this sound's promising Travis. It's weird but when I look at the chicken he looks like he has the hair of a samurai (not sure if you see it) and I thought that was kind of funny. The piece looks good so far in the foreground but the background just feels to bland. Perhaps more color to add some variety? just my two cents, it's your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like where you are going adding something to the background. The head is so powerful and bold that the background kind of fades out. However looking closely at it it looks as if you have sketched some shapes where you maybe wanted to put them and i like the texture of it. I feel like if you add something to the background it should be similar to the background and focus more on texture and pattern that like a whole new color. I feel like you should just enhance the background without taking away from the boldness of the face. Im excited to see where you go with this concentration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travis I really like this painting. It is very precise and to the point, if that makes sense? I don’t really understand your concentration, but that’s alright. I do like the stroke consistency throughout the painting, it draws a nice unity. Do not throw down a shadow, I really like the flat feeling of the painting, and I felt like that was purposeful. The yellow and white background clash is a good way I feel like, so do not change that either. By the yellow in the background creating a white border it really emphasizes and defines the face in the center, which is the central point of this painting. The line is consistent throughout this piece, which seems to work. There is not much texture, which is okay with me, because I do not think you need to use ALL of the principles and elements, because I think that where this piece is going, it is going great. Keep up the good work Travis, I can’t wait to see what else you will create!

    ReplyDelete